Friday, July 9, 2010

Tuesday June 1st: Day #4 in Haiti

Tuesday June 1st: Day #4 in Haiti



My day started at 5 am once again..I was beginning to get used to the roosters crowing as the sun came up literally around 4:30!! Today was a very extremely difficult day for me. I was physically exhausted from all of the work yesterday! My body ached in places I didn't even know it could. Who would have thought sorting thru medical supplies would make me so sore? NOT ME! We ate breakfast and then were off to our various jobs. Of course I choose to sort medical supplies again, so I did that from around 8 to noon! It was hotter than the day before and there was so many times I wanted to give up! One thing I learned in Haiti is hot water taste amazing, I was just grateful for some water! It was nice to have some ice cold water though once I got back to the states! I didn't realize how much I took ice cold water and air conditioning for granted..


Anyways back to my day...So after we worked, we had lunch and then were all anxious as we got ready to tour Port-au-Prince. It was only about a 30 minute bus ride from the MOH...did I mention what a BUMPY ride it was?! Well in all seriousness, this was the hardest thing that I have ever had to see. No words can even express what I saw, so I will try to explain it but I think the best way is to show pictures, and that is not going to even do justice...Some of these may be blurry because they were taking from a moving bus!





These pictures were taken by Brooks, a photographer that was with us on the tour... you should really check out his site he has more like this that he took and they are absolutely gorgeous... http://brooksphoto.smugmug.com/


The thing that shocked me most was how much trash was everywhere. There is no trash system in Haiti so they just throw the trash on the ground, it is heartbreaking.

Here is when my team and I got out at the embassy in Port-au-Prince..

Unfortunately I cannot put all my pictures of Port-au-Prince on here but here is a link you can go to if you wanna see more pictures that I took... http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2430173&id=9616628 and http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2430219&id=9616628

No comments:

Post a Comment